Wednesday, November 2, 2011

school of hard rocks

Wanna watch me make brownies?!?!?! I thought you did!! That's why I photodocumented the whole process (ok, most of the process) yesterday when I was making brownies for my date last night with Brittany!!!

Now - I don't know if you know this about me - but I am not the baker in my family. And, I am constantly reminded of this. So, IF I am baking, I like to do it alone, or else I'll have everybody all up in my grill the whole time I'm in the kitchen. (Yep, I just really said that.)

It's a good thing that nobody else was home, because it took me like, 45 minutes to finally get all the ingredients mixed, I DIDN'T use the Kitchen Aid mixer (horrible, horrible SIN), and I made a pretty big mess.

Let's enjoy:


JULIE (AND RUBY) MAKES BROWNIES!!!




Ingredients? Check! (there were more than that, obvi, but those were the only ones I took a picture of.)




Helper? Check!




This was literally the scene after STEP ONE. I was like, "oh, I'll measure out the cocoa first because that'll be easy..."

And then this happened.






Ingredients mixed with the vanilla bean paste!!!




Two sticks of unsalted butter!




Melty butter!!! The best kind!





Then I had to mix the butter with the sugar and put it back in the microwave until it looked like melty lemonade concentrate. (Mmm lemonade...)




Eggies! 4 of them! Now, I'm the worst egg cracker ever. Like, seriously probably ever. It's one thing that I've gotten worse at over time. But - no egg shells in this batter. :)




Mix it! By hand!! I'm pretty hardcore.


NOW - then Aliya called me!!! And I couldn't bake brownies, talk on the phone and photodocument at the same time. So, I skipped a few steps photodocumenting.

Basically, I took out the pan, sprayed it with nonsticky stuff, and poured the mix in!!





This was the scene after I finished. Stuff was just everywhere. The bag fell on the floor. Note the cocoa on the floor as well as on the table. Pretty gruesome.




BUT THE BROWNIES CAME OUT PERFECTLY!!!! FOR SERIOUS!!!! Like, they taste amazing. Apparently, I make a damn good brownie.


And I brought them over Brittany's house last night and this is what we turned them into:




That's right. Brownie, pumpkin ice cream, hot fudge, and whipped cream. OMG. No, like, OMG. It was kinda amazing.

And we watched Glee and New Girl!! New Girl is back on TV!!! They were off the air for a little while....

(this was last week)
KARA: Is New Girl on tonight?
JULIE: Not until November 1st... apparently there's some baseball thing on...
KARA: ..You mean like, the World Series?
JULIE: .....Oh yeah....

That's what it was! The World Series.

Anyways! So, lots of fun times were had with Brittany. And her sister Gemma stopped by for a brownie sundae, too!!! SO AWESOME. I'm SO GLAD that Britt and I are hanging out again! So much fun!

Speaking of baseball - I saw the movie, Moneyball! It was great. Co-written by Aaron Sorkin, so, there you have it. It was just really wild to see all the baseball politics like, right in your face. I couldn't believe it, actually. Like, the players really have no say on which team they are playing for. That's so weird. And, they can be traded at ANY POINT. Also, weird. Like, they were trading these PEOPLE just like they were TRADING CARDS. The scene with Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill in the office making all the phone calls was fantastic - but eye opening. I couldn't believe how they were treating these people.

I also really loved the sound in the movie. The volume would randomly fade in and out. Well, not randomly. Around major moments in the plot, mainly. But, it reminded me of when you're watching a baseball game, right after the guy hits the ball, and everyone is kind of silent, watching the ball in the air, trying to figure out where it's gonna land.... and then everyone gets loud again. YEP. That's what it reminded me of.

Great movie! I recommend it! Highly! And the scene at the end between Brad Pitt and the Red Sox owner is great.

Anyways! Great movie. Great night last night. Great week. I'm having a great week! And I expect the rest of the week to be great as well.

I bought new nail polish!




So - I WASN'T going to buy nail polish at Target yesterday. I scanned the nail polish section, and WALKED AWAY.

Then, I was in a completely different section of the store, and saw this nail polish sitting on the shelf, out of place. And, I immediately loved it. It's called, 'School of Hard Rocks.' Kinda like a dark teal, greyish color. LOVE IT. And, it was my very first Essie. So, yay!

YOU ALL SHOULD READ MY ARTICLE ON QR CODES
!!!! Yes you scan!

OK!! I have to get back to work. Just wanted to take a minute blogging break.

I hope you all are having as great a week as I am :)

Take care! Enjoy the crisp weather! Be well! Talk soon!!


<3 <3 <3

1 comment:

  1. It's funny to me that you call out the ease of player trades as a strange thing about baseball. While Moneyball is largely about some ideas that are exciting and controversial to "hardcore fans", trading players is not one of them - it's just second nature. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, reminds me that I still need to see it...

    ReplyDelete