Tuesday, March 19, 2013

GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS

So today I got home from work and decided something important.  I decided I was going to watch the HBO show GIRLS.  I mean, it won all those awards at the Golden Globes, that girl Lena Dunham seems pretty cool... I would probably like it. 

Now, I don't know why I thought this show was about strippers.  Maybe cause when you see the word GIRLS in all caps you also expect it to be in flashing neon lights.  Maybe?  IDK. 

So, I downloaded Season 1 and just dived right in. 

About..... 25 seconds into the show I knew I was going to love it.  Nay, I ALREADY loved it.  It was already hilarious, I already could relate to the main character... LOVE. 

I proceeded to get into bed and watch the next six episodes. 

Even after the first episode I was like, "OK, so the main girl is getting finacially cut off from her parents and has to get a real job to support her hipster lifestyle in Brooklyn.... SHE BECOMES A STRIPPER!" 

But the show continued not being about strippers episode after episode after episode.  So finally I concluded:  This show is not about strippers.

And it's not!  Not at all.  Not even a little bit. 

And I still love it!  It's super funny and pretty realistic.  The whole show is about girls trying to make it through their lives.... being in Brooklyn, being in their 20's... trying to act like grown-ups. 

Same GENERAL IDEA as New Girl.... but without the catchy theme song.  Like, you just know exactly how the character feels because at some point in your life you've also gone through that situation. 

I totally recommend it if you're a girl trying to figure your life out.  Which, let's call a spade a spade, is pretty much every girl.  ;-)


Another thing I realized I love:  'The First Day of My Life,' by Bright Eyes.  Who knew?  I mean, I knew I liked that song, but the other day when it came on my "Bishop Allen" Pandora station I was like, OMG I HAVEN'T HEARD THIS SONG IN FOREVS AND I TOTALLY LOVE IT. 

And I've been listening to it like crazy.  It's so pretty!  And whenever I think of Bright Eyes, I think back to when we saw Ben Lee at the Iron Horse in Northampton, MA and he went on and on about this dream he had about Conor from Bright Eyes and it was so weird and random.  He seriously talked about it for like probs ten minutes.  Jenny Valeri - do you remember this!!?  Hilars!


So, the other morning when Ben called, I was in the middle of having this dream which I think is really weird.  I was dreaming that I was sleeping and all of a sudden woke up because I heard this helicopter outside.  I assumed it was flying over, but it kept getting louder and louder, so finally I reached over and pulled back my curtain and the helicopter was flying RIGHT outside my window.

It was a white helicopter with USA painted in large red letters on the side.  And I saw it and immediately thought, "oh, that helicopter must be carrying new recruits."  And then I grabbed my phone and took a picture of it to show Kara when I went over to see her that morning.

And THEN my phone started ringing, I REALLY woke up, saw it was a call coming in from Illinois... and knew that it was Ben.  I didn't get to tell him about it (because we could only talk for three minutes), but I wrote to him about it.  And that letter is in the mail.

Because later on that night when I checked the mailbox, I saw an envelope with his handwriting on it, and I knew that it was 'the form letter.'  This is the form letter that they 'fill-in-the-blank' with their address, graduation date, guests for graduation, etc. 

So I immediately addressed all the letters I had written and sent them out! 

And waiting for a letter from him is going to be GREAT motivation for shoveling out the mailbox tomorrow.  Do I really care if I can get my car out of the garage?  ......not really.  But a letter from Ben?  Yeah, I'll shovel that. 


That's Ruby helping me write a letter the other night.  Cutie!  Only SIX MORE WEEKS until I go to Chicago!!!!! 

And a WEEK from this Saturday (the 30th, that's also MARIA'S birthday!!) I'll be in NYC for the day to hang out with Kerianne, Noel, Joe and Aliya (hopefully!)  Can't can't wait.  It's going to be great.

So tomorrow:

-  oil change/inspection at 10:45

and those are all my plans!  I'm pretty excited/worried I'll get bored and lonely. 
Oh, and the lady from Wentworth Douglass patient is calling me back so I can pay off the rest of the bill over the phone.  :-/  Ya see, I'm now answering my phone at every weird looking number JUST IN CASE it's Ben calling me... normally I would avoid these calls thinking that maybe they are people in patient accounts departments looking for my money.

And that's what happened today.  I answered the phone and SURE ENOUGH she wanted me to pay off my $70 balance on my bill.  I said I couldn't get to my debit card right now (because I was in the car), and she was like, "oh well can I call you back tomorrow?"  and I was like, "......sureeeeee....." 

That was the blood work I had done back in November so the doctor could tell me I needed to pay TWELVE DOLLARS for special vitamin D pills. 

Next thing you know, I'll be paying off my doctor's appointment from Nov 2011 cause I'll accidentally answer that phone call.  Great. 

Well, actually, it would be great.  Because then I wouldn't have it looming over my bank account.  I should try and straighten out my finances like a real grown-up.  Just like on GIRLS. 

Except she doesn't have any money either. 

We'll all figure it out eventually. 

Maybe I'll get my nails done tomorrow.  Treat myself.  Anybody interested in coming with?  Eh.  I probs won't do it.  I'll probably just stay home all day and watch Season 2 of GIRLS. 

Anybody want to get lunch?  Cheap lunch?  I guess it depends on how easy the driving is.  Hopefully easy. 

The guy just came and plowed the driveway :)  Maybe I won't have to do much driveway shoveling tomorrow!!  That would make me very, very happy.  But I will shovel the mailbox. 

Oh, I have laundry to do tomorrow.  I think I'm going to remake my bed tonight.  UGH, what I really should do is sort through all of Ben's laundry. 

But then I think about it and say to myself, 'I've got six weeks to do it... and then probably a few more weeks before he can even wear civilian clothes...'  and that's plenty of time. 

'Why do today what you can do tomorrow?  That way if you die tomorrow you won't have spent your last day on Earth doing laundry.'

One of my favorite quotes.  So true.

OK.  I think that's about it.  If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know.  It feels good to be blogging again.  I missed you all dearly.  And I made this whole blog and had the big grand opening and then hardly used it!  And that's pretty lame!!!

(fun fact::  the day i had my big new blog premiere was the day i met ben!  february 24.  and then we had our first date like... two weeks later!)

OK.  I'm going now for real.  Ruby is getting mad that I'm not paying attention to her.  I'll go get one of her toys. 

Hope everyone is having a good snowy week!  Hope you don't have to do much shoveling. 

Take care, friends!  Talk to you laterrrr!!!


♡,
Julie




yours is the first face that i saw
i think i was blind before i met you
i don't know where i am, i don't know where i've been
but i know where i want to go
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment