Monday, April 20, 2009

all night long....

OH BOY. do i have a story for you. i think you'll enjoy it. i have enjoyed this story all night long. it all started with the laundry....

so, it's just about 10:30 last night. sunday night. april...something. 19th? 18? maybe even 20. i don't know the date. and, i'm deciding which pile of clothes i should wash first. i decide on my light pile, since that has the pair of pants that i found the bed bug on yesterday morning. (which, i didn't tell you about. but...pretty self explanatory. woke up. found a bed bug on a pair of pants. freaked. the end.)

so, i gather the pile of clothes together. grab my laundry detergent. i'm all set. walk out my door. it's a little hard because of all the clothes. now, this is the crucial part. i kind of lose my balance because of the clothes and instead of closing my door part of the way, it shuts completely.

THE EXACT MOMENT when i hear it click closed completely - i realize i don't have my keys. any of them. not the house keys. not the apartment keys. niente.

i try my door. no. it's definitely locked. because i always lock it. (i swear) then, i quite calmly go downstairs and put my laundry in the washing machine. good. that's done.

then i walk over to the office to see if there is some slight chance that Cheryl left it unlocked. nope. then i go to the upstairs office to check the same thing. it's locked. all the doors are locked.

hm, okay. so now i have to figure out someone to call to let me in to the office so i can get the spare key to get back into the apartment.

hm. so who can i call? and then i realize....

you can't make outside calls on any of the phones that aren't behind locked doors. this is so the girls can't make any unknown phone calls. it makes sense, because they totally would.

so now i step back and assess my sitch:

- i'm locked out of my apartment
- also locked out of everything locked in the house
- unable to make a phone call
- can't leave the house because the alarm will go off and i have no way of shutting off the alarm
- it's only 10:45

wow julie, great deal.

so, i go upstairs because i'm pretty sure two of the girls are still awake.

i knock on one of their doors,

GIRL: Um, hello?
JULIE: Can I come in?
GIRL: ........yeah.

so i open the door and the two of them are sitting there. they know that they're not supposed to be in each other's rooms this late.

GIRL 1: Are we in trouble?
JULIE: No, I won't get you in trouble.
GIRL 2: We won't get minuses?
JULIE: No, I won't give you a minus. So, um, here's the deal.....

and then i proceeded to tell them what was going on. i just wanted to hear if they had any other ideas of what to do. maybe something i wasn't thinking of.

GIRL 1: Well, call someone.
JULIE: No, I can't use the phone.
GIRL 2: Use your cell phone.
JULIE: I don't have my cell phone. Do you guys have any cell phones? (they're not supposed to have cell phones)
GIRLS: No.
GIRL 2: If we did, and we let you use it, would you let us keep it?
JULIE: I would let you keep it for tonight, and then tell the staff tomorrow that you let me use it to make a phone call.
GIRL 1: Well, why don't you call the police?
JULIE: No, we can't make any phone calls.
GIRL 2: Have the fire department come.
JULIE: (shakes head)
GIRL 1: I could hold my lighter up to the sprinkler, and then they would come!
JULIE: No, don't do that. Wait, do you have a lighter?
GIRL 1: .....um....maybe in my room.....
JULIE: Ok, I'm gonna need that.
GIRL 1: Yeah, okay.
GIRL 2: You could let us walk to a pay phone.
GIRL 1: Yeah! Where's the closest?
GIRL 2: Down by Village Market.
GIRL 1: That's not far at all! Just down to the green and take a left!
JULIE: No. Nobody's walking anywhere.
GIRL 1: Oh, I know a shortcut! Just walk behind the house and down that street over there!
JULIE: Nope.
GIRL 1: OH! Here's an even shorter way! Walk down to the graveyard and cut across that way!!!
JULIE: Not gonna happen. Everyone's staying here.

part 2.

GIRL 1: Oh! I need a card.
JULIE: A card?
GIRL 1: Do you have one?
JULIE: Like...a credit card?
GIRL 1: Yeah!
JULIE: I don't have any with me.
GIRL 2: I have a gift card in my wallet.
GIRL 1: Go get it! We can get in to your apartment that way!
JULIE: You know how to do that?
GIRL 1: I used to do it all the time.
JULIE: Oh.

so then, she attempted to open my door with a JC Penney's gift card. it didn't work. she tried pretty much every other locked door in the house. nothing worked!

so now it's almost midnight and we have made no progress. the girls are both going to bed now.

and i'm left alone now. in a locked up house. so, i did what any other person would do. i made a sandwich. and had some juice. and took it up to the lounge to watch tv.

and - lucky me! - Jon and Kate were making their house "green". so, i watched that. omg, love that show. i hadn't watched tv in FOREVER. like, just sitting, flipping through the channels.

i watched:

- 2 Jon and Kate Plus Eight - they greened their house in one episode. and then in another, they renewed their wedding vows in Hawaii! it was great.
- Chelsey Lately. ugh i can't stand her.
- an infomercial
- an infomercial
- an infomercial
- an infomercial
- an infomercial
- an infomercial - i had seen this one before. but i love it. and i secretly really want it.
- Larry King. he had on Ashton, Diddy, Jimmy Fallon and Ryan Seacrest all talking about Twitter. it was pretty funny. they were all really great together. even King. and then he had on Susan Boyle. the singer from Scotland on Britain's Got Talent. she sang 'my heart will go on'. basically, she's me in 20 years. singing songs from Les Mis and Titanic.
- C-SPAN. i decided i want to be in Congress.
- House Hunters.
- All American Rejects, 'Gives You Hell' video. love the main guy.

and, yeah. i think that's it. (um, also - if you go to Jimmy's twitter, he says that he was totally in NORTHAMPTON, MASSACHUSETTS this weekend doing stand up. UM, WHAT!!?!? i live there for FOUR YEARS and he never once comes to do stand up. unfair.)

so then, it was about 4am. and i was tired. so, i turned off the tv and lay on the couch. i'm pretty tired. can't sleep. it's too loud on the second floor. too much music playing at night.

now it's 4:45. i am hungry. so i go downstairs and eat a bagel. and some iced tea. the sky is getting lighter.

i sit in the living room in a big comfy chair. there is a book next to it called, The Cinderella Rules, and so i pick it up and start reading.

i'm not but ten pages in and i already hate all the characters.

- about two sisters. the older one is boring. she works on a farm. has no boyfriends. has no style. the younger one is this social butterfly. sleeping with all these random guys. travelling places on a whim.

- so, the younger sister says, "hey sis, there is this place called Glass Slipper Inc. it's a make-over place! but, not just a "looks makeover", they make-over you're entire life!!"

(which is just a polite way of saying, "but everyone really only cares about how you look.")

and that's when i closed the book. i already knew the ending.

- the older sister gets the makeover thing and suddenly she has all these guys who are in love with her. but not because of her new look, because of her new life. yeah, sure.

- ugh. it made me so mad.

so then. i decided i would lay on the couch in the living room and close my eyes. and i think i slept for about 45 seconds!

and now it's like, 6:15. and i hear the toddler and her mother coming downstairs. the toddler is very excited to see me. but she's even more excited to see my flip flops. she has her flip flops downstairs too. so, i helped her put them on.

and then i sat with her while she ate breakfast. she sang her ABC's for us! it was super exciting and she did a great job.

and then at 7:30, her mom left to bring her to daycare. i said it was okay if she set off the house alarm, since she needed to leave.

UGH i hate the alarm. it's like the frequency before humans can stop hearing things. horrible.

so, i went back up to the second floor where you can't hear it. and turned on the tv, hoping to catch a morning talk show or something.

and that's when i heard a car door shut! and i looked outside and our director, Randy was here!!!

lately, he's been getting here early. it wasn't even 8 o'clock!

so, i race downstairs to meet him.

JULIE: Hi!
RANDY: Morning!
JULIE: Oh, I'm so happy to see you.
RANDY: Yeah...what's going on?
JULIE: I've been locked out of my apartment all night!!

and then i proceeded to explain to him that i couldn't use a phone, blah blah. because he was like,

RANDY: Locked out all night? Are you serious?!
JULIE: Yeah.
RANDY: You should have called me!!!

and so he let me in to my apartment. i shut off the alarm. and now i am here. i had to tell you everything as soon as i could so i wouldn't forget all the infomercials i watched.

the one fun thing i did was around 1am. i went to the water cooler to get some water and it was empty!!!!! sooooo - i got to change the water!!!!!!! just like in the airport lounge!!!!!!! and it was the middle of the night, which made it even funner!!!!

and that's that. that was my locked out story. i realized that during all my four years in college, i never once was locked out of my room. (save for the time when elizabeth locked me and kerianne out of our room..... :) )

i also realized during the middle of the night that when i came back to my apartment, i wouldn't have any sheets. because i took them all off. and they need to be washed. and my other pair also needs to be washed. so, that was a bit disappointing. i guess i'll be sleeping without sheets tonight. today.

but yeah. i'm going to go to bed now. it's 9:07am. i'm pretty tired.

yeah. i guess i'll go to sleep now. now i'm getting like, dazed over-tired.

ok. well. i hope you have good mondays. my plan is to make it to the post office because i didn't on saturday. but now since i haven't slept all night, i'm wondering if that will happen. i'm planning on getting up around 3, maybe. realistically, maybe like, 4. we'll see.

ok. enough. glad to be back.


good morning!!!!!!

<3

1 comment:

  1. That was the best story I've read ALL week. And I read an entire book yesterday! My favorite part is the tv, because when I'm home my sleep schedule gets messed up and I watch SO much late night tv.

    And yes! I've always wanted to be in Congress and make it more feisty, more like British Parliament. People yelling at each other! Actually, recently I've been stuck on the idea of being elected governor of Texas. Wouldn't that be awesome? I could solve the immigration crisis and make gay marriage legal and all sorts of awesome stuff. Then maybe when my term's up I could run for congress. "And that's why you're an idiot. And now I cede the remainder of my time to the gentlewoman from Maine!" "I thank the gentlewoman from Texas for ceding the remainder of her time. Also, I LOVE her nailpolish."

    I'm so glad you're coming for graduation. We'll have important governmental things to discuss...

    ReplyDelete