Thursday, March 1, 2012

Rhode Island Takeover - Part 2

Dear Rhode Island,

I don't know if you know this, but you are being taken over. By THESE GIRLS:



Haha. That picture was like freshman year of college, after the alumni concert at Noble. SHOUT OUT TO BEN ELLIOTT IN THE BACKGROUND!!!!!! We're pretty hott.

Also I have no idea why we took that picture. haha.


ANYWAYS!

So, I went to visit Maria again two weekends ago. Ya know, for a girl's weekend. We were planning on sitting around, watching movies, eating junk food and making friendship bracelets..... and that's pretty much exactly what happened.

However! We did have a few adventures in there, too, as always.

I had wanted to check out this lighthouse I had seen on Google Maps, Beavertail Light, out in Jamestown, RI. Maria, of course, was game for anything! So we headed off!

Now, we expected it to be cold. If you remember our azalea garden expedition, you know that we are pros at going into seasonal attractions during the off-season. BUT HOLY CRAP IT WAS FREEZING. Like, you can't move your fingers, your mouth, your nose, your ears freeze off immediately and you can't see because your eyes are watering so badly.

COLD.

But! I made Maria stand around outside anyways, haha. And we got some photos. And I got to stare at a lighthouse... which are some of my favorite things in the whole world.






There was a lighthouse museum as well as an aquarium on-site... both of which were closed, naturally. But they would have been in the extra buildings you see.









LOVES IT! Lighthouses are the greatest.

So - on our way to the lighthouse, we passed some other attractions that we wanted to visit on the way back. Including:

1. a playground
2. a windmill


PLAYGROUND. Ummm... maybe the greatest playground ever built.





It had this tiny, one-person chair swing.





And lots and lots of towers. It was like, castle/ship themed.







We just pretended that we were writing a safety manual on local playgrounds so we wouldn't look too suspicious walking around and taking pictures.





That's me, standing at the bow of the ship part. AWESOME. (cause I'm the Captain, duh..)


AND THEN - came the windmill.

So, we saw this sign on our drive to the lighthouse that said, "now entering Jamestown Historic Windmill District," or something like that. And we said, "wouldn't it be awesome if there was actually a windmill here?!?!?" AND THEN JUST AS WE WERE SAYING THAT, ONE APPEARED IN FRONT OF US!!!!!




We had never seen a windmill IRL before, so it was PRETTY COOL.







I think that one came out pretty good.







The bridge over to fancy Newport.




Yeah, so, if you WANTED to get technical..... TECHNICALLY we were trespassing on the historic site. I mean, the sign said they were closed... and technically we had to jump the rope to get to the windmill... which MAY OR MAY NOT have been on someone's private property...... but... IT WAS WORTH IT! Because that windmill was awesome.

And it's not the first time I have trespassed on someone's private property in order to check out something cool. Or trespassed on a national historic site, for that matter. And, did I mention I have two unpaid parking tickets?? And I'm getting my ears pierced?? Yeah, I mean, what can I say? I'm kind of a rebel.








And from the bridge you cross to get to the lighthouse island there is this tiny, tiny island off to the side with a tiny, tiny lighthouse on it. And I had seen it when I was down there a few years ago. AND I WANT IT! Someone please buy this for me! I think it only costs like, $60,000 or something. Because I looked it up after. (great shot from the moving car, Maria!)


SO! I wanted to update you with those pictures. AND! I have a snow day today!! Yep! The store is closed today!

After I'm done with this, I'm gonna take a shower, and then get to work on my friendship bracelets! Send me those addresses, you winners!! I've gotten two already! Actually, three. And actually, I will probably see the other people. Except for Kerianne :-( Kerianne, did you move into your new house yet?? Do you have the same address?? Kerianne and Noel bought a house!!!!!! In Chicago!!!!! Remember I was in their wedding, too?!?!?! Over in Ireland!!!! Yeahhh that was the best. That trip was totally dave.

Allllllright.... I think that might be it for now.

OH WAIT! I thought of something else. I've had this tab open in my browser for like, three days to remind me to tell you about it. haha. I do this a lot.

SO! I found this place! The Starfield Observatory in Kennebunk, ME and it's part of the Astronomical Society of Northern New England and they hold public STAR PARTIES. It's a monthly observing session in which all are welcome! It's on Friday nights! AND I WANT TO GO TO THE NEXT ONE. How awesome does this sound?!?! A Star Party! love it! So, we should go.

Ok. Now I think that's it. I've updated a lot in the past two days. You guys are lucky ducks.

It's snowing a lot. I like it.

OK! Hope everyone has a great day! Snow day or not. It's March!! No longer MY birthday month, but it is other people's birthday month. So - STILL EXCITING!

Ok. I'm gonna take a shower. You're gonna continue being awesome. And maybe we'll talk later!!!


ENJOY!!

3 comments:

  1. Ummmmm let's continue to take over Rhode Island. I think the goal should be to convert it to an independent nation of which we are the rulers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They won't even know what hit 'em. Re-Hanksican party FTW!

      Delete
  2. Firstly, OMG TINY LIGHTHOUSE! If I had oodles of money, I'd buy it for you, just so I could come visit it and have a tea party there or something.

    Second, I finally go to check out the whole blog! I tried checking it out for the ribbon cutting party, and got a glimpse, but it was right before I crossed the border to Canada so I shut my phone off while I was up there. But now I've had some down time with the laptop and got the see everything in it's full glory, and I love the new blog! I love the title and the colors and the slight nautical theme.
    Also you're adorable in your video blog, and so is Ruby Tuesday. =]

    I see there are already awesome tales of adventure in this blog, and I look forward to future posts!

    -Jo!

    p.s. - I finally set up a blogger (almost wrote booger...classy) account, JUST SO I CAN COMMENT HERE. That's how much I enjoy reading your blog, haha. =D

    ReplyDelete